Trump administration preps for possible government shutdown


The White House on Friday ordered federal agencies to prepare for a possible government shutdown after the Trump Administration demanded that money for key priorities be included in legislation to keep the government running beyond April 28.

But the president and his aides said they were confident that Congress would work out a deal and that there won’t be any halt in government operations.

Administration officials portrayed the order as normal contingency planning, stressing that the previous administration had followed the same practice as funding deadlines approached.

“I think we’re in good shape” on avoiding a deadlock on the funding, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Friday.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the administration is “confident” because negotiations are ongoing and “no one wants a shutdown.”

Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s budget chief, said Thursday Democrats will need to agree to pay for some Trump’s top priorities, including a wall at the US-Mexico border, in legislation to fund the government for the remainder of the fiscal year, which ends Oct. 1.

Democrats responded harshly to Mulvaney’s remarks.

“Everything had been moving smoothly until the administration moved in with a heavy hand,” said Matt House, spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Democrats in both chambers of Congress have some leverage on spending legislation despite being in the minority.

In the House, a group of conservatives, led by the Freedom Caucus, is expected to oppose the spending bill currently being negotiated in private, bipartisan talks.

Sixty votes are needed in the Senate, where Republicans only hold 52 seats.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *